Thursday, May 8, 2008

I have an opinion

And while I would love to say that I am pro choice when it comes to any form of weight loss surgery, be it the Lap Band or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, I'm just not for it. This has been nagging at me for a while and I think I should just put it out there. Why, why, why? would you do that to yourself just to lose weight. You are setting yourself up for a lifetime of complications and misery. You take away your ability to absorb nutrients and all sorts of things start to go wrong. We have our parts for a reason people. I get so sad when I read that people are willing to put up with rotting teeth, osteoporosis, B vitamin deficiencies, dumping, vomiting and never being able to eat your favorite food again just to be thin.

I wish that people didn't see it as the only way. I wish that Big Pharma wasn't marketing it to the vulnerable. I wish that health insurance companies would stop paying for it. I wish that there were more people like me.

You can have your cake and eat it too!!! You just need to practice some self discipline. It took me a long term to learn that and come to terms with it. But I did, and ON MY OWN TERMS. I wasn't forced into it because of some surgical procedure. I may sound preachy, but as I have learned more and continue on this path to becoming an RD I can say that I would NEVER recommend this to anyone.

That being said-- to the man in my life who went there. I still love you. But I wish it were different.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I have several friends who have had surgery, however, I feel like it's the easy way out. Granted, the surgery is rough and the aftermath is just as bad. But it's taking the easy way out. They could easily exercise and eat right and lose the weight instead of opting for surgery. I don't know. I guess I just have strong feelings on this because I had several doctors tell me that was my only option. And I decided that surgery wasn't my only option and that I could lose the weight on my own by making lifestyle changes and not slicing my body up.

Unknown said...

I don't want to harsh on anyone who has had this done. The struggle that many now face is well documented in some amazing blogs. I admire their ability to continue with this new added layer of malnutrition and other side effects. There is no way that is easy.
But for me, and anyone who asks, I will tell them that it can be done with out surgery. It's also not easy, but you can do it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.