Sunday, March 23, 2008

Need a Campus?

Weight-loss boarding school helps teens shed bad habits
Wellspring Academy, just outside Fresno,California opens its doors to people ages 13 to 24. Currently scouting locations in the Northeast for a sister school to open in June, the academy teaches kids to change their entire lifestyle, rather than just put them on a diet.
I know of one. Unfortunately it is in the middle of nowhere. The article talks about taking kids out to restaurants teach them how to eat healthy along with teaching them good eating habits on campus. The program looks pretty sound, founded by a guy disillusioned by the diet industry. Consists of the following 3 tenets.
Eat less than 20 grams of fat a day (the average American eats about 75 grams), walk 10,000 steps a day (the average is about 3,000), monitor all eating and exercise by keeping a journal - and find the root causes of overeating.
My high school tried to teach me how to lose weight. It didn't work-- but not because it wasn't sound. But because I wasn't ready. I wish I had been like the kid in the article.

No comments: