Monday, March 17, 2008

Fake Food or Junk Food Dieting

I'll admit to losing a lot of weight eating some of the listed foods-- especially the Baked Lays and the Diet Coke. Fake food doesn't really have any nutritional value. And the 100 calorie packs, besides lacking redeeming nutritional value. I'm not down with them. People are capable of learning portion control. This is just another way for companies to sell you less for more. And also, wafer thin "Oreo flavored" cookies... I can't really put my finger on it, but I'm wanting my food less tinkered with.

It's not even food any more. As I learned today, in 1973 the FDA repealed a law that food had to be labeled imitation if it contained fake parts-- like today's Splenda or Olestra. As long as it has the same nutritional value then you can modify food however you want and you can call it whatever you want. And since cookies don't really have any nutritional value you can fill them with fake fat and fake sugar and still call them cookies. Ew.

I'm reading a new book. The above factoid comes from Michael Pollan's follow up to the Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food, An Eaters Manifesto. I am only 30 pages into it so I am interested to read further about his recommendations- which he says, "will produce as many different menus as there are people using them."

No doubt they don't include fake food.

No comments: